Recent

Author Topic: Ello everyone!  (Read 7958 times)

Adam LaCombe

• Force: +17/-0
    • My Blog
Ello everyone!
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
Well im pretty bored so why not take them time to introduce myself.  ;D

Well anyways,
My name is Adam, im 15 years old and attend Randolph Union High School in Randolph Vermont.
Ever since I was a little kid I loved technology and everything to do with it. When I was I think 7 I started looking into making a website and started out with a small html site from freewebs. From there I went on to learn about PHP and I started a site called RSpace powered by smf, I played around with that for about two years and got really bored.
Very recently I started to learn more and more about MYSQL, I first learned about MYSQL by installing the V1.2 of FAS. FAS gave me a great head start to the world of web development and I am very greatfull for that!  ;D
And now with the help of Kurt, Admin, and others I have been given the opportunity to create my own script and get a good head start to my web developing future.
Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:58:33 PM by Adam »

Sterling

• Force: +1/-0
    • Hitchhike games
Re: Ello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:51:39 PM »
Thats cool man... Thats pretty much my life story as well...I'm 16 and go to Grossmont High School in San Diego, CA. Blah blah

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »
thats cool. San Diego sounds like a kewl place to live, I love cities theres a lot to do when you live in one. As for me im stuck home most of the time, Vermont can be the most boring-est state you could imagine unless you love to farm lol.

Robbie

• Force: +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
Try living in the UK lol, do you get much snow up there?

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
oh yeah, in the winter its crazy, the snow plows are up plowing at 2 in the morning and salting the roads. I hate the winter, there's even more of nothing to do when the car can't get out of the drive way lol.

Sterling

• Force: +1/-0
    • Hitchhike games
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:47 AM »
I love the winter...Well snowbaording ;D

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
yeah snowboarding can be pretty fun!
im more of a inside kind of person though, thats why im pretty smart with computers and what not. Most everyday I sit in front of my computer and yell at it (its only got 128mb of DDR RAM lol) it can hardly keep firefox and WinSCP open at the same time lol.

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
Must be nice to own such an advanced computer. Mine uses pc133. And one of my backups uses pc66.

Shudder, that 4 letter word that starts with "s" you keep using. I hate that white stuff.

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
pc133? pc66? that must be very old.. I don't really know much about RAM. But I wouldn't call my computer advanced, its crashed twice on me already and 128mb I think is slow but I have no idea.
What OS do you run?

I run Windows XP Home Edition but still have the files from professional for some reason, I have no idea how to remove them..
I love Mac, I wished I could be using an apple but they are way to expensive.

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
The one that uses pc66 has Windows 98 on it. I upgraded it from an AMD K6 266 to a 300 lol. It won't recognise anything bigger than a 4g HD either. Yea, it's that old. When you're as poor as me, you learn to make do. I still keep a laptop that I bought years ago, it originally sold with Win 95, and is a P166 mmx. 144 mb of RAM maxes it out. I keep it for when I need to run some things that won't run on anyting newer. I bought a few HDs for it and loaded Win 98, NT 4.0 server, and FreeBSD on them. Some of the older programs don't appreciate newer boxes.

I love Apples. I have an old Beige box, about a 333 mhz I believe, that I hope to rebuild some day.  I have the OS9 install for it somewhere I think. Good machines. Slow, but good.

XP barely runs on 512 mb of RAM. It hobbles on 128, even with nothing running. I prefer 2000 over XP, though MS in general is extremely unstable as a platform to begin with. Hard to find such things as decent antivirus to run on 2000 anymore though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:18:33 PM by kurt »

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
Oh my Windows 98. I haven't run 98 in years, well if ur running 98 then yes my computer is advanced lol. When or if I get enough money to buy a new computer  maybe I could send you my old one, all it needs is some more RAM I think.

I got a couple Macs sittin behind me, one is running 8.6 I think.. the other wont start lol. The one running 8.6 wont do nothing but run AIM so thats all I used to use it for. But at our school they run Mac OSX Leppard, very nice OS, the only bad thing is is that macs have good filter programs so we cant go on myspace and facebook but there's proxies but of course once we find em they block em lol.

Oh and when I first got my mac I called up apple cuz it was old and I couldn't find any programs for it, they sent me to I think oldapps.com. they have old apps for macs or pc, thats how I got AIM for it, YIM don't work for me anymore, they decided to stop supporting the old version so for a little while I was stuck with just AIM.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:35:40 PM by Adam »

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
That's one of the nice things about Apple, they don't frown on people who own older machines. In fact, I saw it on their own website one day where they gave 8.5 to the public domain, meaning you can give it away for free. Of course they give the upgrades to make it 8.6 on their website as well. I love old Apples. It is a bit fun trying to find programs that work on them at times though lol.

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
oh yeah its very tough. The only applications for apple I ever see now are for OSX and thats about it.
All of the apples I have had never really lagged but they did need more RAM.
I took the whole morning today to install some RAM to my computer now, I got it all working but I had two 256mb and one didn't work so everytime I opened a program it would restart, which started to get on my nerves lol. I finally got it fixed though, I got one 128mb and one 256mb, its a little bit faster!

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
If you want programs for older Macs, look for a Mac user group near you, they seem to always have what people need. And of course, there is usually some very good older stuff on eBay. Still harder to find such things as  new antivirus for them. But most of the viri that aflict older Macs have to do with MickeySoft Orfice, and a lot of them can be dealt with if you don't need macros.