Recent

Author Topic: V2.1 BETA rc1  (Read 10602 times)

Adam LaCombe

• Force: +17/-0
    • My Blog
V2.1 BETA rc1
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
V2.1 beta rc1 is available for download on the download page.

New things:
  • Email check (register, receive an email to activate your account)
  • Forgot password
  • 35 Default games provided by http://heyzap.com

Bug fixes:
  • Online users is now only counting registered online users

I think that is it... I may be forgetting something.. oh well, I'll add it in later if so lol

A big thanks to Conor at Heyzap.com for helping us get some default games!

soulwebsites

• Force: +0/-0
    • Jamsite
Re: V2.1 BETA rc1
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:17 AM »
Hi Adam

do you know when the final 2.1 will be released?

I just wanted to know as I am modding a template at the moment so if it is soon I will hold off until the 2.1 release.

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
It may be a bit. We are having a bit of a fun time getting people to translate for us. Peeps have said they would do it, get the files, and never get back to us. It would greatly speed it up if we could get it translated into even a single language other than English. :p

Frank

• Force: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
It would greatly speed it up if we could get it translated into even a single language other than English. :p

Make them available (zipped) and pm me a download link and I'll have a look at it.

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
Here is the latest package of the files containing the variables needing translation

http://freearcadescript.net/languages.zip

Frank

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
My friend, I don't know who coined the idea of 54 separate language files with so much duplication of words and strings that any translator would take one look at it and probably say "No Thanks". :(

Anything that's duplicated generally belongs ONCE in a common or main lang file and then anything left over could have its own unique lang file.

But there are not enough unique strings in any of the templates (Maybe "Fine Print" would qualify - but I wouldn't bother) to create so many language files.

The attached file language-vars.zip contains a lang file I created for my V2.1 BETA rc1, and I expected to find something similar with yours.

Dupes.zip is a "combined" file of your 54 files, stripped to show how many dupes there are and why most of it is pointless. You actually have more language files than phpBB for about one tenth of the content.

Count me out on this, because I myself don't feel like going through the process of loading and processing 54 files.

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:17 PM »
OK, no prob. We do understand.

Anything that is in all pages, such as "Fine Print" for the header menu, should be located in one file, the one loaded by the main template. However, anything not shown on every page was put into a separate page for each template page. This was done for good reasons. One reason is the fact that some languages that it may get translated into may have different words for some of the things that English user have a single word for. For example, there are fish(singular noun), fish(plural noun), and fish(verb). In English, all one word, in other languages, not the same words for all 3. This could cause some problems for users of other languages, and we decided to remove that as a posibility before it became one. There are so many language files, because there are so many files in the template system, and in the various admin sections.

Sorry that you won't help, but as one of the designers for FAS, I can not back using fewer files because of the above reason alone, even if there were not other reasons.

Thanks anyways.

Frank

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
This could cause some problems for users of other languages, and we decided to remove that as a possibility before it became one.

I've been involved in a lot of software language files, and the main rules have always been:

Initial files should be written in English (GB) Because that's what foreigners are taught. And no offence - English (US) is not the English they have come to understand because of some quirks with that too.

Abbreviations and things like they're, can't and don't should be avoided at all costs.

With all that in mind, I have never come across any other problems that translators have voiced an opinion on.

But! It's your programme, and your choice - Even thought I think you are digging an unnecessary hole for yourself.

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:50 PM »
Yea, I understand. And yes, it may be more work. It wouldn't be the first time we did more work that some would think needed, but it has helped avoid some problems in the past, so we stick with it.