Recent

Author Topic: updating forums?  (Read 6357 times)

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
updating forums?
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Ever think about updating the forums on here and making a few small adjustments to the site? Right now your running  1.1.11 and i believe the newest is 2.0.1. Updating the forums could give you better spammer protection and a nicer look.

Also changing the theme to a nicer looking one and making the forums its own page on the site instead of being inside the content section of the main site could also make it look better.

I know this probably isnt a huge deal to you guys, but making the site look more professional could attract more users. A good looking site could make the difference on if someone stays or leaves.

Those are just a few of the changes that I myself would change but what i listed above is something that is easy to do and would make a big difference. All of what i said "should" be able to be done in a single day.

Adam LaCombe

• Force: +17/-0
    • My Blog
Re: updating forums?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
I always wanted to fix up the site, but I don't really own it lol.
Robbie runs this site. All me and Kurt really do is work on the FAS script.
I'll ask Robbie though about updating and getting a theme.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
If you need any help with anything i would be glad to help as long as i have the capability to do so. I know you guys are real busy and i probably have a lot more free time then you so i could get more done in a shorter time. :)

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
I just been busy cuz I was setting up a new site lol a lot more things to learn. Just started to use Sphinx, really awesome indexer.
I'll just have to contact Robbie about it and we'll see. If it is okay with him, I think I rather leave the forum on the right of our navigation and then create a theme that matches the regular site and forum.
I'll keep thinking. Any other ideas would be great. If i'm too busy I will take you up on the offer though lol.
Thanks!

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »
I can see how it has the potential of looking good if you match the site theme with the forum theme. Also, if your going to continue doing that, please make the main site a percentage width instead of a set width. It looks quite bad imo.

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »
I would look into it, but chaos reigns here it seems. I never know when I will have to get up from the keyboard and walk away for a week, like just happened a few days ago. Taking care of a daughter with sever mmedical problems sometimes does that, and its the biggest reason I had to back out of the project as much as I did. Problem is, when things get updated, things don't always go right. When they don't, somebody would need to be able to sit and troubleshoot until it was working again, and like I said, I could have to walk away for days right at the wrong moment. Things work right now, so for right this moment I've left the upgrading sit till more time is available. We also had a problem with a hack attack against this forum script soon after we took over it, and if we upgraded, we would need to be able to watch carefully to see if things went wrong.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
Hey like i said id gladly help. Its the least i could do. Since using this script and making mods iv learned so much about php that i had no idea how to do previous or how to even start working on something this big. My future goal is to make my own forum script and have it free like this and working on this script has given me a general idea of how to start it.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »
it bothers me that i am unable to help....

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
have you heard anything from Robbie?

Adam LaCombe

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »