Recent

Author Topic: Free Arcade Script Latest News  (Read 12952 times)

am-fs

• Owner
  • Developer
  • Force: +1/-0
    • Great Flash Games
Free Arcade Script Latest News
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
This post is to inform you that Robbie and Kurt are no longer the owners of Free Arcade Script.
Due to certain things in life they are no longer able to continue with this project.
I have stepped in and purchased the site and script.

With that said, Free Arcade Script will move on.
I am very active member in the arcade industry and have a large network of arcade sites and work with many different arcade scripts, so I will be here daily to provide support and will be updating Free Arcade Script.

This is just an update so you know whats is going on with FAS.

Have any question you can post them here or send me a pm.

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
Re: Free Arcade Script Latest News
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
We wish you many years of fun. Take good care of my baby my friend. I know you will, or I would never have allowed you to take over.

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
Are you going to be continuing from my version of the script? I had made many improvements in it and itd be nice if the code didnt go to waste.

Frank

• Force: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
Dunno Dillon,

I think maybe you should have made the changes as MODS and give someone else a chance to help you out before you committed them to the script.

But then again - Without a plan from the So-Called other developers here who contributed nothing, one cannot blame you for forging-on yourself.

But, from what I can see there are quite a few things that you did that are only half finished.

I'm NOT being critical, just pointing out some things that need your attention.

The admin panels are breaking to the right for the want of some additional mark-up.
The Members ASC and DESC could be done with one query and not nine?
The report comment calls a non-existing report table.
Admin can't select a default theme from the ACP and it currently shows a theme named "default" that doesn't exist?
The login menu is breaking up once logged in and only gives one option.

There's probably a few more - but overall you have made some changes that could be considered to be worthwhile.... Pity they aren't MODS - Like WOw! a "New Admin Panel"?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:27:27 PM by Frank »

am-fs

• Owner
  • Developer
    • Great Flash Games
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:43 PM »
Thanks ............. Kurt, I wish you and yours the best of luck

Dillion's admincp will be in the next release with all the bugs fixed.

Also hope to have a new template then we will be converting the layout to div's

alot will be changing in the next few months.

Stick around, you will like what we are doing.

Frank

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »

I don't think I'll bother to contribute unless the script is released as GPL?

As I'm not convinced that this script was ever written by one person in the first place and is a mish-match of other people's scripts that have been cobbled together.

When questioned about the rating script, Kurt was adamant that they had wrote it - until it was pointed out that Boedesign thought they wrote it too and copyrighted it with a license that had been removed from FAS's COPY.

The "Random Banner" script is another COPY that FAS uses that one can find a "verbatim" copy of on the web along with credits and license terms in the headers.

So no thanks, unless whatever people contribute or use is (re-)released under the GPL - I'm not interested in helping a commercial script gain footing at the expense of those who contribute their time for nothing.

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »

I don't think I'll bother to contribute unless the script is released as GPL?

As I'm not convinced that this script was ever written by one person in the first place and is a mish-match of other people's scripts that have been cobbled together.

When questioned about the rating script, Kurt was adamant that they had wrote it - until it was pointed out that Boedesign thought they wrote it too and copyrighted it with a license that had been removed from FAS's COPY.

The "Random Banner" script is another COPY that FAS uses that one can find a "verbatim" copy of on the web along with credits and license terms in the headers.

So no thanks, unless whatever people contribute or use is (re-)released under the GPL - I'm not interested in helping a commercial script gain footing at the expense of those who contribute their time for nothing.

Well as it says Kurt and Robbie no longer own it. There are quite a bit of changes in store.

am-fs

• Owner
  • Developer
    • Great Flash Games
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
General Public Licenses is in the plans.

I believe Danny was the original owner and wrote most of the code for this and another free arcade script.

From what i have read the rating was from boedesign, i have tried to contact that site, no response yet.

Random banner script can easily be coded or removed from script.

Either way if it is a problem then i can remove both of those items and code my own.

Frank you are a valuable asset to any script, hope you check back in and i know that you also have your own script, good luck on what ever you do.

Frank

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »
General Public Licenses is in the plans.

Way to go as it makes available all sorts of free scripts that can be incorporated into FAS.

You don't need to contact Boedesign either, as that was already done here and permission given to use it. He also didn't mean that his name should be plastered in the footer etc - Just left in the script where it belongs - as MOST other users of other's script respect.

As for the Random Banners - I think about six different people claim to have written that? - Probably GPL in the first place!

And I'll give you one:

Dillon's ACP html is breaking for the need of a
Code: [Select]
<br clear="all" /> (or use the CSS) after all of the div's that hold the <h* wrappers and before the forms. (Didn't look at all of them and it's been some time!)

Example:

Code: [Select]
<div class="heading">
<h2>Advertising</h2>
</div>

<br clear="all">

<form action=\''.$domain.'/index.php?action=admin&case=ads\' method=\'post\'>

I'll probably PM you soon and run something past you..

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:49:40 AM »
Ummm Frank? Before ya go throwing around that kinda talk, ya might wanna get your facts straight, ok? Please? We don't really need to start something here.

First of all, NO, the script is NOT written by one person. We have never tried to hide this fact. We have always tried to give credit where credit is due as well. The initial script, 1.0, was coded by Danny. I, with the help of some others, took it through the rest of the 1.x and finally 2.0 versions. Others DID help. Adam did a lot of work to try and take it into 2.1. I've not looked to see how much Dilllon has done, but I'd be willing to bet he's done quite a bit.

Second of all, if you go back and look( http://freearcadescript.net/forums/index.php?topic=590.0 ), I was up front and honest about what I knew about the rating system. Robbie was told everything was coded by Danny up to the point where he took over, and asked me to join. When shown it was in fact by somebody else, I did admit it, and I did contact them, and got the ok to use it because we were not using it to make a lot of money. The script has NEVER put a lot of money into any of our pockets. At best, it has paid the hosting for some months. The originator of the rating system gave permission for us to keep using it as long as we put the copyright back in. I will admit that I do not know for sure whether it made it back in or not. That was about the time I had to bow out due to family health problems. I think it was, but I wouldn't want to swear in a court to that effect. I may have that email from them granting permission still. I will try and find it, forward it to the new owner so that he can keep a copy.

Third, there have not been a multitude of developers working on the script. There has usually only been one main person, with a few others that contributed. Danny has not been on the team since he sold out to Robbie. When I had to bow out of the project, I told everybody so( http://freearcadescript.net/forums/index.php?topic=404.0 ). Why anybody would expect me to have been contributing past that point, I don't know, because  I said I would not be able to. Adam had problems that I'm not at liberty to disclose, and was not able to run the show like he wanted to, and Dillon took over. By the time he did, it was obvious that Adam was unable to help much at the time.  Did I leave anyone out? If so, forgive me, my memory ain't real good anymore. So who are you refering to when you say "so called" developers who contribute very little?

As for a random banner mod, I must plead ignorance. My memory seems to be growing worse since I was in an auto accident about 3 years back. I do know I was working on a mod for showing random ads for each ad spot. I know for a fact that I did not just copy and paste it off some other site. I learned a bit about how to do such from a tutorial site, so it may be similar to code found elsewhere, but it was not just copied and pasted. And I really did not know that I had given out that code anyway. Did I finish it and post it somewhere? Seriously, if I did, please show me where because I really don't remember. Thought I had not even finished it yet.

Now I will admit to one possibility. Robbie and I also owned YAS(Your Arcade Script), and it might have been about that time when I was working on the rotating ad mod. I did copy and paste some code I had written for FAS into YAS, and maybe from YAS into FAS. If I did, big deal: we owned both scripts at the time. Other than that, I really can't remember even the slightest possibility of releasing such code. If I did, please point it out to me. I'm not being sarcastic here either, I really do not remember doing so.

This has never been a project that has been profitable. This has been a labor of love. If it was a commercial script, we all would have abandoned it a long time ago. None of us has had the ability to work on it near enough to make it a money maker. The only real reason we did not go GPL, was so that we had better control over what direction the script went. It has far more potential than ANY script I have ever worked on, by far. Does it have problems? Yes. Are there some coding errors? You bet. It's been a freebie we have given out, not making anybody pay a penny for, coding when we had a few spare minutes here and there. I suspect the new owner sees a small glimps of what I see as well, or he probably would not have been interested, and I think he loves the project as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:01:21 AM by kurt »

Frank

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »
Quote from: Adam
FAS from what I know was coded by uhhh yeah I forget.. hes on this forum, but hardly ever visits.

Did very little coming from someone who admits to just taking what he wants to use, particularly when none of the scripts contain any headers, copyright's or credits.

Thank you for explaining it.

And as for the term "So-called Developers" - If it hadn't been for Dillon working alone, then this script would no doubt still be exactly the same as it was two years ago. That's what it meant. Because twelve months have just gone past without so much as a post here about anything from anyone.

Anyway, I hope am-fs can gather some support and turn it into a real worthwhile project.

And BTW - Releasing something under the GPL does not mean that one loses control of the original script because forks and mods are obliged to carry a notification or acknowledgement link/url of the source-code they used. One only has to look at MyBB to see how that operates under the GPL... And the benefits from it.