Recent

Author Topic: User registration  (Read 6209 times)

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
User registration
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Hey, so i was thinking about how this forum is kinda inactive.... Its really sad to see something like this so dead IMO and remembered how i had to wait almost a week to get my account activated and this could scare off some potential FAS users. I dont think having admins approving accounts is a very resourceful way to stop spammers. I think that if we(the free arcade script community) would like to see this forum grow without the spammers you should remove the approve by admins and add a custom registration field to the signup. On my forums we had a very big problem with spammers to stop this we made a custom field that asked what is 2 + 2 and required the answer to be 4 otherwise the registration did not go through. Iv also seen on other sites them ask "What is this forum about?" then under it put *hint* its blahblahblah. and then the user would type blahblahblah and they would then finish the registration. Just a thought.

Frank

• Force: +4/-0
Re: User registration
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 04:30:53 PM »
You're right,

For a "support" forum it's a STUPID idea for people to have to wait to be approved to ask questions.

:(

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
I agree, its not a good system. We have had problems with SPAM posts in the past though, and just adding a security question does not cut it anymore. People are being recruited and paid to sign up accounts on forums and blogs, so that accounts can be had in with which to post SPAM. This bypasses all security questions and CAPTCHA mods because its a live human doing the sign up.

The best solution? We could use some mods to keep an eye out and kill SPAM as it happens. They would need to follow our forum rules and not have a "god" complex like some people have displayed. There are only 3 of us, and outside demands keep us extremely busy doing other things, most of which pay more than this free script. Any volunteers?

I've even sugested it to the others that we do away with this forum, and do our support best we can over on TA instead. It wasn't well recieved by everybody.

Frank

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:04 PM »
I don't know too much about about SMF but I do know that some other forum software (GPL) have an extra deterrent in the way of number of posts or days a member must have before he/she can post url's.

That's all they sign up for - Robots included - And that Xposts x Xdays will not even allow the post to be sumitted if either is breached is a pretty damn good deterrent.

:)

Check my sig - - - That's what I use. :P

As for asking to be a moderator - Don't know - Would have to think about it. ;)

am-fs

• Owner
  • Developer
  • Force: +1/-0
    • Great Flash Games
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »
I dont think there is away to stop spam, unless you go VB.
SMF and phpbb forums are nice but there seems to be no stop to spam.
FAS needs mods to help out the community.

I waited couple weeks to get in here but i knew i would sooner or later.  :P

Frank

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »

There are many ways to stop SPAM - And one doesn't need vB just to make it effective.

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »

There are many ways to stop SPAM - And one doesn't need vB just to make it effective.

Totally agree. My forums was getting bots signed up daily, 3-4 a day, and after adding the custom field 2+2 it was completely stopped except for 1 really smart bot that was deleted instantly. Also adding restrictions to new members post like mort said would also help a lot with the very few that do manage to get through. I would have no problem being a moderator. just need to know what rules to follow on what posts to delete what users to delete ect ect

Frank

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
Yep! That's the first thing that's needed - Rules that the moderators can apply to the members - - -

Something like this!

http://ozigames.net/forum/rules.php

Number 7 in particular.