Recent

Author Topic: New features  (Read 27704 times)

Dillon

• Developer
  • Force: +3/-0
    • Arcade Freak
New features
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
From what i understand i am a new developer for this. Im kind of surprised they never said anything but i want to know what features you guys want to see in a new release. If you'd like to test what iv done so far here is a link FAS Beta .

Current new features added:
  • Added: Top games
  • Added: Latest games
  • Added: Guests online (made by mort)
  • Added: Comment deleting for admins(made by mort)
  • Added: quick game editing(made by mort)
  • Added: a search box on the side panel(removed the search button in the navigation)
  • Added: report game as broken button
  • Added: support for google analytics(insert code into js/google.js)
  • Added: Favorites link to the My Menu sidebar
  • Added: a delete button to favorites in case you added on by accident or dont like it anymore
  • Added: default avatars(Undisclosed, male, female)
  • Added: user template selection
  • Added: Admins can Enable/Disable templates
  • Added: checks to see if there are games added to the category(instead of spitting out errors it says no games added yet)
  • Added: Require email activation yes/no option added to settings
  • Added: Username length is now limited to 16 characters(including spaces)
  • Changed: Made the category list display on every page
  • Changed: Removed submenu1(); from My menu(giving it its own box)
  • Changed: Removed Most Played, Newest, Search, and Links from the navigation moving them into the sidebars
  • Changed: Made the nav display all the categories on the site
  • Changed: A lot of various organization and changes to make it look nicer
  • Changed: Edited the admin panel to no longer display the header and side bars(Image in a comment below)
  • Changed: Updated/fixed the bbcode on blogs
  • Fixed: can no longer search blank causing it to search every game
  • Fixed: MANY bugs and made all the pages as far as i can tell validate
  • Fixed: Caching issue for the admin panel. Has a 1 second cache that way settings are updated almost instantly(One of the most annoying things iv seen from this script so far)
  • Fixed: Page navigation(Now only shows 7 page links at a time rather than every link)

Features im going to add in this update:
  • Fix bugs and remove unnecessary code from the admin panel
  • Use username instead of user ids for PMs
  • Allow users to block other users
  • Improve guests online
  • Create a new default template(started)
  • Report Comment
  • Convert tables to divs(started)
  • Improve install/update script

Features i will add in a later update:
  • Make a new rating system
  • Facebook/Google/Twitter login
  • Mobile version
  • More user account security(optional in the account setting)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:57:11 AM by spagetiokillers »

soulwebsites

• Force: +0/-0
    • Jamsite
Re: New features
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »
Hi spagetiokillers,

My List:

Features:

1) Facebook/twitter/google login (openID)
2) To be able to expand the arcade to other resources so images/videos - sort of making it a multimedia website
3) I'm not sure how easy this would be (I have had a little look) - mobile detection so admins can make a site for mobile devices
4) some sort of friend system - more for security so users can hide themselves or block other users from sending messages

Changes:

1) A redesigned admin page (I checked out your modified version and it looked much better)
2) Change the message feature (I dont like having to put the user id would be better with username)

I will try and think of some more....

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:51:55 AM »
Hi spagetiokillers,

My List:

Features:

1) Facebook/twitter/google login (openID)
2) To be able to expand the arcade to other resources so images/videos - sort of making it a multimedia website
3) I'm not sure how easy this would be (I have had a little look) - mobile detection so admins can make a site for mobile devices
4) some sort of friend system - more for security so users can hide themselves or block other users from sending messages

Changes:

1) A redesigned admin page (I checked out your modified version and it looked much better)
2) Change the message feature (I dont like having to put the user id would be better with username)

I will try and think of some more....

For the facebook/twitter/google login i would have to do some research on good ways to do it and i think that will have to wait atleast if im going to do it but i will look into it for sure. The mobile device is pretty easy to do i just would have to spend time making a mobile theme and in the current state of the script i dont think it would be productive to do that just yet but i will look at that for later. Also i like the multimedia idea but id like to focus of the games aspect first and get that all working first. Now the friends and blocking i do think would be good or the next release and ill look into ways to do it. There will be a new admin panel but probably not the one thats in mine but it will still be better. And i already planned on doing that to the messaging just havnt had time to look. Later tonight i think im going to make a list of features i have done/i will do in this release/ i will do in a later release.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
Added a list in the first post of what iv done what im going to do and what i will do in the future. I will update it as i go along.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Heres the admin panel iv been working on what do you think?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:41:26 AM by spagetiokillers »

soulwebsites

• Jamsite
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
Looks good...nice and neat.

http://www.9lessons.info/2011/09/update-login-with-facebook-and-twitter.html - this is the link Adam gave me for the Facebook/google/twitter login the main issue I had was due to the way it stores the details in the database - if two people sign up and they happen to have the same name but different email it thinks its a duplicate.

I'm not sure if you also want to add the modification for the .htaccess file so IF a user manually types the address but missed off the / at the end it would redirect - was in my last support question

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Looks good...nice and neat.

http://www.9lessons.info/2011/09/update-login-with-facebook-and-twitter.html - this is the link Adam gave me for the Facebook/google/twitter login the main issue I had was due to the way it stores the details in the database - if two people sign up and they happen to have the same name but different email it thinks its a duplicate.

I'm not sure if you also want to add the modification for the .htaccess file so IF a user manually types the address but missed off the / at the end it would redirect - was in my last support question

I will definitely look into it but i dont know if ill have time to get it in right away unless you guys want to wait longer for a new version. If its easy ill do it if i can get it working itll have to wait. Also if you have any other errors who know of like that let me know so i can fix them. I have already gone through and fixed many many errors that existed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:23:48 PM by spagetiokillers »

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »
Im still working on this quite a bit there is just a lot that needs to be done before i feel its ready for release.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:14 AM »
Here is the start of the new theme. The colors and look may change and obviously its not complete. Basically this image shows the setup i have going currently for the new theme; where everything is going to be placed and what not. Im going through all the CSS code and removing any unnecessary CSS and im going through every files and fixing them up, spacing them better, making it easier to read the code and im removing all the tables and converting them to div tags unless the information on the page is actually a table(ex. members list)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:42:06 AM by spagetiokillers »

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
So this is taking me a lot longer than i was expecting. Im trying to get this to a version that has the least amount of useless code and redundant code so it works its best, however, while going through these files it seems that there is a lot of code that needs to be fixed/cleaned up. Right now it is a lot better than the latest version but i have stopped adding new features because it makes more sense to have the code working to it best ability first before new things are added.

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »
Just to show a bit of my progress.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:42:22 AM by spagetiokillers »

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »
I have finally figured out how to fix the pages. Now if you have a lot of pages for one category instead of it showing every single page link it now shortens the page links to only show 7 at a time and i have also added a "Previous" and "Next" button however if you are on the first page it will not show "Previous" and if you are on the last page it will not show "Next".

soulwebsites

• Jamsite
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »
Looking good!

Any idea when you will have version ready for testing or full release?

Dillon

• Developer
    • Arcade Freak
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
I can release it for testing if you'd like, i have been busy lately because of the holiday and what not so i havnt had much time to work on it. But i do have the install script and everything fully working for it.

soulwebsites

• Jamsite
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Yer that would be great, I wouldn't mind having a go on my test site.