Recent

Author Topic: Few questions about your game packs  (Read 7832 times)

Vi3tShugo

• Force: +0/-0
    • Free Games Online Arcade
Few questions about your game packs
« on: August 15, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
A.) How big (file size wise) are the game packs?
B.) Were these games created by/for FAS specifically, or just randomly compiled games?
C.) Do the games have lots of advertisements? Don't really care much about small intros, but games that lead to other websites and require players to pay to play longer or get upgrades really...suck, to say the least.
D.) Any way I could see a preview of the games? Saw one for the girls pack - aiming more for the 6,900 pack ^^
E.) Do the 1100, 2600 and 6900 games pack have the same games? Or is it a total of 10,600 different games?

Thanks in advance :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:18:45 PM by Vi3tShugo »

Adam LaCombe

• Force: +17/-0
    • My Blog
Re: Few questions about your game packs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »
The game packs vary in sizes. If they are too big they are broken up into different zip folders though.

No the games weren't made by FAS or specifically for FAS. They are taken from other sites though.

ehhh Don't know about a preview of them. I think we used to have a game pack on the test site but it ended up crashing and we never uploaded them back.

I assume that they are all different games in each pack. Could be mistaken though. Robbie or Kurt could answer that.
But once you have one game pack installed and you try to install another, the new one you install will overwrite the old one.
It is possible to have two game packs though. You would just need to change the ID's of the new games in the pack before installing it.

kurt

• Developer
  • Force: +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
a) The sizes vary, anywhere from a fe kb to several mb I believe.

b) No, they were not created for FAS. They are game pack I managed to pick up resell rights to so that we could offer them to our members as a convenience, nothing more.

c) Some do, some may not, I don't think any of us has gone through and played all of them.

d) The only site I know for certain that has the 6900 is funarcadeonline.com but it contains games that are not in the game pack as well. So keep in mind that not all games in it are going to be in the game pack.

e) I think that most of the ones in the smaller packs are included in the big one. Might not all be in there, but probably most of them.

And I will also state that there might be some duplicates in the 6900. The pack is actually larger than 6900, but we sell it as that in case some are duplicated, or have problems, We don't want to cheat people. They are offered as a convenience to our members and nothing more.

There is also a GameFeed module now for FAS 2.0 on talkarcads.com that I have tried on a couple arcades with good results. It feeds new games.

That help answer some of your questions? If you have more, we're here to answer best we can.

Thanks!

Vi3tShugo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
Thanks, both of you, for the help & explanations :D

I'll probably buy a game pack within a week or so :P Just gotta make sure I don't need the money for anything else.
Already bought the copyright removal as promised ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:46:11 PM by Vi3tShugo »

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Oops, you probably meant how big is the zip files that the games are packed into. They total a couple gigabytes, and most are hundreds of mb in size. Something to keep in mind. We do offer a service of uploading them to your server for you if need be. Forget what the price of it is, but it's in the store somewhere I think.

Vi3tShugo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »
Well I bought the game pack :P Don't think I'll be purchasing the services though. $12 is a lot to add to the tab. I'll just endure it if I have to.

Currently at 436/599mb on the first part xD Are all the parts this big (not including the fas zip)? Don't really mind the total amount of space they take up, but downloading them at this size takes a while. (Not to mention if they decide to not work at 99%)

Edit: oh and download page itself requires updating. It shows 0kb for all files 0.o
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:53:34 PM by Vi3tShugo »

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
No, not all of them, but most are, and even the ones not are still pretty big  :p

Yea, the download page only gets the size inserted if the files are uploaded through the store's admin panel. The files were so big that we had to upload them via FTP, so the sizes never got registered. It never seems like a huge deal, and sometimes you can cause problems when updating the database through phpMyAdmin if some of the entries are stored in certain ways, like when stored as "blob", so we never really made much of an effort to update that info.

Personally, I would not mind redoing some of the things in the store, like packaging the game packs in smaller chunks and updating the sizes registered, but it all take time. Time right now is very hard to come by, so we have to prioritize. Things might change sometime in the near future though.

Vi3tShugo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
Alrighty then :P As long as you know. Its minor things, like you said, and shouldn't be top priority, but it helps makes the website look more organized and legit.

If you do get the chance, I would suggest 100mb files :O Not as big, but at the same time, not too small. At first I would recommend maybe rapidshare or some fast file sharing website...but then you can't keep track of the downloads lol.

Adam LaCombe

• Force: +17/-0
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
Well the thing with rapidshare is that once it is uploaded there, anyone can keep using the same download link. Thats why we have the store mod because it makes sure people dont share the links with other people and we don't get cheated.
Good idea though.

If either Kurt or I have enough time we will try and fix up the game packs. If I were to do it, I would need to get a external hard drive first lol.

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
I was actually leaning towards a bit bigger than that, around 200-250 mb each. At 100 mb each it would take 50-60 files lol. It would be easier to download though wouldn't it? Either way it will have to wait till we get a few other things done I'm afraid. We have a few new things to add to the script and right now real world responsibilities are over riding.

Vi3tShugo

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »
Uhh...lets just go with that than lmao. Didn't realize it would be that many files (obviously didn't think it through). But when you do get around to doing it, maybe keep both the big files and 200~250mb ones as a second option?

I ended up being able to download all of them (just two more) on the first try. They did freeze up at "few seconds remaining" like I expected, but clicking pause and then resume fixed it :P

Oh I ran into a problem...if I decide to get a new domain for the arcade instead of hosting it on my main site...would I be able to transfer the Copyright Removal?

kurt

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »
That's what I was thinking of trying, seeing if peeps could figure out that it was 2 different options and only one needed to be downloaded to get them all.

If you reg a name after paying for the removal, just get ahold of Robbie and let him know. That shouldn't be a problem.